Friday, September 7, 2012

Under-Promising and Over-Delivering

Under-Promise. Over-Deliver. And Your Brand's Fans Will Talk (via FastCompany)

I've begun working on my new series. I made a few mistakes with the last one that i'd like to correct this time around.
  • Implement uniform formatting across all versions. Although Smashwords offers distribution to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, I submit to these two retailers separately from the others. This time around, I am not going to modify the formatting for any e-reader. My biggest specific mistake was inserting page breaks into my final drafts. This doesn't matter on an e-reader. The font is adjustable.
  • Write about a timeless topic. My first topic has a definite expiration date, and I don't anticipate it bringing me any money four years from now (then again, who knows?). This time I'm going to write about a subject that never falls in or out of style or becomes obsolete.
  • Improve the quality of my writing. Although my refund rate for my current series is average and I have been getting positive reviews, I still personally feel that I could have done a better and more thorough job and delivered my readers more content for their money. I've identified a need in this niche for an inexpensive, comprehensive book in plain English. The title itself will tell people exactly what to expect, but I will pack this book with more information than advertised.
  • Have confidence and pride in my product. This ties in with the above point. I'm much more likely to aggressively market and seek reviews and promotion for a product that I know is great.
Create great products. Exceed people's expectations. Get them talking. Get positive reviews. Boost visibility. Sell more. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment